2020 Southwestern Minnesota Synod Assembly
June 12-13, 2020
Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, MN
About 650 persons from throughout our synod will meet to worship God, in whose name we gather; to deliberate carefully and faithfully about God’s mission in our synod; to learn from God’s Word about the life and mission God has given us; and to enjoy fellowship with God’s people from across southwestern Minnesota.
We are excited to have Rev. Philip Hirsch, Executive Director of Domestic Mission in the ELCA, join us this year. In addition, Rev. Rachel Wrenn, a former rural ministry pastor in our synod, will be leading Bible study. Rachel recently accepted a call to Trinity Lutheran Seminary in Columbus, Ohio, as an Instructor.
One way that God is near you now is in creating congregational vitality in our congregations. Come. Learn how vital you are now to God’s Mission.
“If you enter a town and it welcomes you, eat whatever is set before you. Heal the sick, and tell them,
‘The Kingdom of God is near you now.’ – Luke 10:8-9 (NLT)
Registration is open!
Resolution Deadline - April 6, 2020
Early Registration Discount Ends - May 19, 2020
Display Deadline - May 19, 2020
2021 Synod Assembly Date - June11-12, 2021
Please read the information below before registering. Click here to download and print the information below.
Registration Information for Voting Assembly Participants
The following persons are eligible to serve as voting members of the assembly:
- Pastors on the roster of the Southwestern Minnesota Synod who are under call.
- Deacons on the roster of the Southwestern Minnesota Synod who are under call.
- Two retired pastors elected by their peers to represent the retired pastors on the roster of the SW MN Synod.
- Lay members of the Synod Council.
- Lay voting members from congregations of the synod.
- Lay conference chairpersons who are not congregational voting members.
- Retired pastors on the synod roster serving as interim pastors in congregations of the Synod during the Synod Assembly.
- Persons serving in a Synodically Authorized Ministry (more than half time) in congregations of the Synod during the Synod Assembly.
|Congregation Size*||Voting Member #|
|0 – 174||1 or 2|
|175 – 500||2|
|501 – 1,000||3|
|1,001 – 1,500||4|
|1,501 – 2,000||5|
|2,001 – 2,500||6|
|2,501 – 3,000||7|
|3,001 – 3,500||8|
*Numbers represent BAPTIZED membership.
More than 3,500 baptized members, add one voting member for every additional 500 baptized members.
Registration Information for Non-Voting Assembly Participants
Advisory members of the assembly have voice but not vote during business sessions. Such persons must register and pay the appropriate fee, which entitles them to all activities and meals. Those wanting the materials printed for them should add $25 to the registration fee. Persons who may register as advisory members include: ELCA churchwide staff, representatives of synodical shared ministries, retired rostered persons (with the exception of the two retired pastors elected to vote), and rostered persons not currently under call. Advisory members may attend all days of the assembly.
Visitors for the assembly have neither voice nor vote during business sessions. Any interested members of congregations of the Synod may register as visitors and pay the appropriate fee, which entitles them to all the activities and meals. Visitors must sit in a separate designated area during the business session.
Registration Procedures and Costs
Registration is online only. Click here to register the pastor(s), deacon(s), and the elected lay voting members from your congregation. Please register each person attending the assembly prior to Tuesday, May 19, to take advantage of the early bird rate. The early bird rate will not be extended.
|By 5/19/2020||After 5/19/2020|
|Voting Member||$175.00 (facilities/meals)*||$225.00 (facilities/meals)*|
|Advisory/Visitor||$ 95.00 (facilities/meals)*||$145.00 (facilities/meals)*|
* If printed materials are needed, $25 will be added to the registration fee.
* Lunch for $9 per person will be available on-campus on Friday, June 12. Friday dinner, Saturday lunch, coffee and snacks are included in your assembly registration price. Assembly voting members have the option to purchase a lunch ticket on their assembly registration.
Optional: Campus Housing can be reserved for one night – Friday, June 12th – and that includes Saturday breakfast in the room cost. OR, you can reserve two nights – Thursday & Friday – and that includes Friday & Saturday breakfast in the room cost.
|Single Room (twin bed)||$35 per person ONE night||$65 per person TWO Nights|
|Double Room (two twin beds)||$30 per person ONE night||$55 per person TWO Nights|
|Single A/C Room (twin bed)||$58 per person ONE night||$109 per person TWO Nights|
|Double Air-Conditioned Room (two twin beds)||$46 per person ONE night||$87 per person TWO Nights|
(A/C - not guaranteed: Requests will be honored on a first come/first served basis upon registration.)
- Roommate preferences must be indicated on online registration form.
- Your roommate’s online registration form must include the same request.
- BOTH need to mark a double room and EACH pay the double room rate.
Cancellations by June 1: 100% Refund.
Cancellations after June 1 or Non-Attendance without Cancellation: No Refund.