Living well is a personal journey that presents each of us with unique opportunities to steward our gifts in all dimensions of our lives. The following grants are to assist you in your journey.
These grants are inspired by the Portico Benefit Services’ Wholeness Wheel. Wellness is multi-dimensional — made up of spiritual, vocational, intellectual, emotional, physical, social, and financial dimensions of well-being. Spiritual well-being is intertwined with and influences our well-being in all other dimensions.
Seminary Tuition Scholarships
These scholarships are available from the synod’s endowment for seminary scholarships, individual gifts, and the ELCA Fund for Leaders endowments, including funds from the synod, Trinity (Chandler) and Marble (Hendricks) Lutheran Churches, Lutheran Men in Mission, and Green Lake Lutheran Ministries. Applications are received in the Spring for distribution in the next academic year.
1) Enrolled at an ELCA seminary;
2) Have a positive entrance decision through the ELCA candidacy process (or in progress), pursuing ordained or rostered lay ministry in the ELCA; and
3) Academic excellence.
Students may be full- or part-time. Traditional, distance learning, and TEEM candidates are all eligible to apply.
Click here to apply
Deadline: Submit online application before 8:00 a.m. Monday, May 8, 2017
Debt Reduction Grant for Seminary Student Loans
These grants are paid to lending agencies with proceeds from the synod’s Rural Ministry Debt Reduction endowment fund. Applications are received in the Fall for distribution in early October.
1) ELCA rostered leaders serving in good standing in SW MN Synod as of July 1 of the current year;
2) who served under call in this synod in the previous calendar year;
3) with payments on seminary loans in the previous calendar year (documentation submitted to our office at the time of application);
4) with remaining seminary student loan balance of at least $500 as of June 30 of the current year; and
5) application received in synod office by September 15 of the current year. (Disbursement of funds will be paid directly to lending agencies.)
Pension Equity Grants
These grants are paid to the rostered leader’s pension/retirement account from the synod’s Pension Equity endowment fund. The purpose is to help equalize pension funding for rostered leaders called to serve in our synod, especially early in their ministries. Applications are received in the Fall.
1) ELCA rostered leaders serving in good standing in SW MN Synod;
2) who are paid below synod guidelines;
3) who have completed the current year’s Forms A and C; and
4) who have submitted their Rostered Leader Report to the Bishop for the current year.
Wellness Dollars from SW MN Synod
Wellness grants are available for up to a maximum of $250 per eligible person each fiscal year for the purpose of encouraging activities that focus on health and wellness. Grant funds are limited and are not automatically awarded, except for the specific items that are listed as examples. Each person who is rostered in the SW MN Synod and serves as a non-retired, rostered leader in a part-time or full-time call in the synod is eligible for the grants. Paid, non-rostered staff members who serve in a congregation or synodical office setting in the synod AND who have Portico Benefit Services health insurance are also eligible. All rostered leaders must have completed this year’s Annual Rostered Leader Report to the Bishop.
Wellness grants are available to be used for a variety of ways of stewarding your health as leaders:
- Spiritual (spiritual direction sessions, attend a spiritual-centered retreat)
- Vocational (vocational building books for staff/council, staff development retreat and/or facilitator expenses, sabbatical support)
- Intellectual (attending a formal continuing education event—tuition, housing, mileage, travel)
- Emotional (counseling sessions, life coach sessions, attend a retreat for renewal)
- Physical (exercise equipment for home gym or church group, exercise classes, resources or programs)
- Social (Pastor-2-Pastor, Family Camp)
$400 Wellness Dollars Incentives for ELCA-Primary Health Plan Members
Login to your MyPortico account to earn up to $400 in Wellness Dollars, which will be deposited into your personal wellness account, legally a health reimbursement arrangement (HRA), or a health savings account (HSA).
“Equip Grants” are grants supported by our Embrace God’s Mission + Equip God’s People Funding Initiative. These grants will empower and equip God’s people for God’s work. Equip Grants will change periodically and offer a variety of learning opportunities in our three main areas of the Funding Initiative, Deepen Congregational Vitality, Enhance Local and Global Mission, and Develop Servant Leaders.
How to apply:
- Seek support and approval by your pastor; if you are a rostered minister, seek support and approval from your synod minister. Please download the grant informational PDF below, fill out the sign-off portion, and send to the synod office.
- To fill out online application, click here.
Equip Grants available now:
- Teens in Mission (TIM) Team, click here for grant information and sign-off.
To learn more about TIM Team click here. This link will take you to the camp webpage.
- Luther Seminary School for Lay Ministry Course, click here for grant information and sign-off.
To learn more about Luther Seminary’s School for Lay Ministry click here. This link will take you to the Luther Seminary website, Lifelong Learning, Kairos.
CEU credits are available upon request for all grants.
How to get reimbursed:
- Please submit your receipt or registration confirmation to Carla Klawitter at email@example.com or SW MN Synod, Attn: Carla Klawitter, PO Box 499, Redwood Falls, MN 56283. Also, include who should be reimbursed with contact information.