Dear friends in ministry –
I pray God’s grace and peace are with you as you begin this Advent season, preparing your people to welcome the light of Christ and to reflect it in your communities. For the past several years, your synod has been inviting congregations to participate in a special Advent Appeal as we come to the end of the calendar year. This year the Advent Appeal focuses on supporting the work we do together as a synod. Your generosity will help continue these ministries like these in key ways:
Sustain congregational vitality through your synod infrastructure and staff:
- working with many congregations on right-sizing their ministry
- developing new partnerships to create sustainable ways to support vital ministries
- equipping and supporting congregations as they seek renewal of ministries
- walking with congregations toward reconciliation in times of conflict
- increasing our focus on what it means to follow Jesus and love our neighbors
Enhance Local and Global Mission
- planning with strategic ministries like the Laotian Ministry – St. Cloud, House of Grace – Montrose, and Iglesia Paz y Esperanza – Willmar
- connecting with your young adults through LuMin (Lutheran Campus Ministry) in Marshall, Morris, Willmar, St. Cloud, and at the College of St. Benedict/St. John’s helping congregations listen to their communities
- walking with our global companions in South Africa
Develop Servant Leadership
- sustaining your Lutheran Youth Organization and camping ministries, which are long term strategies that grow servant leaders in our synod and for God’s world
- celebrating the work of Sister Sarah Hausken, now a deacon and your Synod Youth Ministry Coordinator, who helps grow the next generation of leaders and support the congregational and institutional youth ministers of your synod
Your congregation is part of these important ministries. Your generosity at this special time of the year sustains the work of our whole synod organization and the ministries we fund through the synod budget. That generosity is especially important this year as many experience financial stress in our farming communities. Like the early Christians, we give out of our abundance, whatever that may be, and share our gifts to strengthen the gifts of others.
Please share the information about this Appeal with your Church Council. We hope that as a leader, you will encourage your congregation’s partnership in this Advent Appeal and continue to share your Mission Support throughout the year.
Ways to give:
- Send financial support today in the form of a check. Make your check payable to SW MN Synod with Advent Gift in the memo line and mail it to: SW MN Synod, PO Box 499, Redwood Falls, MN 56283.
- Give online by making a one time gift or by setting up a recurring gift (ACH debit). Click here to give online. You can give by checking, savings, credit card, or a direct ACH debit.
“We have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us: …
ministry, in ministering; the teacher, in teaching;
the preacher, in preaching; the giver, in generosity…”
In times of financial stress in our farming communities we know your support of your synod ministries will help us sustain our mission and ministry.
Let us as the people of God use our gifts to support the gifts of others.
Thank you for your willingness to share your gifts, through this Advent Appeal.
May the light of Christ shine into your and our world’s darkness,
+Bishop Jon V. Anderson