Embrace God’s Mission + Equip God’s People Funding Initiative:
As people and congregations of our SW MN Synod we stand together at a pivotal moment. We are confronting challenges for all of us in our modern society. At the same time we are called by our Lord to move forward with hope and great expectations. It is time for us to prepare for the future. It is time to mobilize God’s people for God’s work!
Now is the time for us to move forward together!
Deepen Congregational Vitality
New financial resources will allow our congregations to assess their current strengths and their readiness for moving forward with new strategic visioning and new inspirational ministries. Congregations will also receive guidance and new resources to carry out effective strategies of communication and marketing to reach more and more people who need to hear and embrace the Good News of the Gospel
Enhance Local and Global Mission
New financial resources will create opportunities for youth and young adults. We will be able to start new churches and better serve our congregations and parishes as they begin redevelopment work. We will deepen our capacity to engage our neighbors new and old who are not connected to communities of faith. We will identify and carry out new ways to love our neighbors in SW MN and in South Africa.
Develop Servant Leaders
New financial resources will assist all our congregations to develop evangelists, lay preachers, worship leaders and faith formation coaches. We also want to provide scholarship support for upcoming new rostered leaders. Lay and clergy will be better prepared in matters of financial literacy, stewardship, and wise budget decision-making.
Build A Ministerial Excellence Fund
Lilly Endowment, Inc. has provided our Synod with a challenge grant of $250,000 to create a Ministerial Excellence Fund that will provide much-needed financial resources to help reduce burdensome educational debts of new pastors, help meet difficult medical emergencies of clergy, and help provide greater pension equity for our pastors as they prepare for retirement. We are called to raise $250,000 in matching funds as soon as feasible and to build a sustainable Ministerial Excellence Fund.
Bulletin Inserts: below a series of bulletin inserts about your synod's Funding Initiative.
• Launching the Funding Initiative with a lead gift
• Funding Initiative / Deepen Congregation Vitality (two-sided insert)
• Funding Initiative / Enhance Local and Global Mission (two-sided insert)
• Funding Initiative / Develop Servant Leaders (two-sided insert)
• Funding Initiative / Build a Ministerial Excellence Fund (two-sided insert)
Walking Together Hymn:
Give Online: Make a one-time gift online now by clicking here. To set up an automatic EFT payment for recurring gifts please click here, you must create an online profile. Please call 507-637-3904 for assistance.
Mail Gift: Please fill out a response card for you gift and mail your one-time or recurring gift to SW MN Synod, PO Box 499, Redwood Falls, MN 56283. Please make checks payable to SW MN Synod.
Funding Initiative LEAD TEAM
- Executive Coordinating Group
- Communications Action Group
- Donor Development Action Group
- Events Planning Action Group
- Congregational Engagement Action Group
Lilly Project Director
Rev. Andrew Hermodson-Olsen
Deb Hess, Administrative Assistant to the Lilly Project and Funding Initiative
Lilly Implementation Team
- Adam Copeland
- Cherrish Holland
- Erik Karlson
- Kathryn Skoglund
- Larry Strenge
- Linda Lagergren
- Lindy Kaden
- Mark Yackel-Juleen
- Nathan Luong
- Susan Lange
- Terri Endres
Lilly Grant Research & Planning Team
- Joyce Piper, Former Synod Minister
- Marv Isder, Avoca MN
- Kirsten Rabbe, Truman MN
- Tim Wrenn, Windom MN
- Mark Yackel-Juleen, Windom MN
LILLY PROGRAM SUMMARY:
At the end of 2015, our Southwestern Minnesota Synod received a grant of $500,000 from Lilly Endowment Inc. This important grant has two major purposes:
(1) The creation of a sustainable Ministerial Excellence Fund will help lessen financial burdens for pastors in our synod facing significant educational debt, medical emergencies, or inadequate pension equity for retirement. Of the Lilly grant, $250,000 must be matched by our synod, creating a fund of $500,000 to be used over a three-year period to provide this much-needed financial assistance to pastors.
(2) The remaining $250,000 from the Lilly grant is being used to plan and implement programs and events designed to improve financial literacy among clergy and lay people in congregations throughout our synod.
Lilly Project in Action
- Ministry and Money Events
- FREE Books for the Book of the Month Facebook Group
- Energizing and Mobilizing your Congregation Workshops
- Debt Reduction Grants