Blog post by Bishop Jon Anderson-
Click here to download my presentation to the large group.
My notes for my conversation about young adults:
Young Adult Round table: We’re Glad You’re Here!
Bishop Jon Anderson and Young Adults from Your Synod– Equipping Day – February 24, 2017
- Young Adult Roundtable: We’re Glad You’re Here!
- How do we connect with our young adults in our community?”
- How do we invite, welcome and receive the gifts of young adults in our congregations and community?
- Inviting relationships,
- Welcoming young adults and
- Receive the gifts and insights of young adults in our congregations.
- Some Hunches
- Young adults are diverse as everyone else. Don’t clump everyone together in generational headings that objectify them.
- Separating generations or studying them has its limits
- Only place people gather and can cross generationally relate
- Token engagement will not work – nor will pushy persistent engagement..
- Don’t just ask on a committee. Young adults are not fresh meat.
- Remember how you treat children and your church kitchen is as important as the Gospels in terms of hearing the Gospel or Law.
- Spiritualties Come in Many Forms –
- What would you add?
- “Nones” language is not helpful nor is denial of cultural shift
- Rodney Stark – The Triumph of Faith – Believing unbelongers
- More deeply faithful, but less happening in institutional or measurable forms.
- Consequential faith
- Terri Elton
- None’s not helpful.
- Shift of church from Majority to minority culture – church to culture
- Relationships changing with social media
- Christian – What does it have to do with Monday to Sunday
- Members – not a club but body of Christ
- Wonder about what God is doing to reform and renew the church as you relate to young adults. Listening for the work and presence of God’s Spirit is a fruitful practice with everyone.
- Relationships not activity
- Address personal needs – people come to church looking for help with personal needs.
- Help people remember that the church is not the institution or building, it is the body of Christ.
- Remember the Four Marks of the Church
- Deep and Authentic Community
- Proclamation of Good News
- Practicing and Passing on the Faith
- Serving in Christ’s Name
- Conclusion – See me – understand me
- Proclaim the Good News in Jesus to help me see and understand God in deeds and words.
- Equip me for life and all its vocation – and my ministry
- Articles Recently Blogged
- On World Oriented Spirituality