When: Thursday, August 18
Where: Gustavus Adolphus College Heritage Room -OR- LIVESTREAM!
– $40 per congregation attending the event. (up to four people) Meals are on your own at the Gustavus cafeteria
– $25 for a Live Stream.
Register your interest online by clicking here.
Click here to download event flyer.
After multiple requests, the Southwestern Minnesota Synod is again sponsoring training on employment law and other legal issues that may affect churches and other religious organizations. The training is being presented in conjunction with the Southeastern Minnesota Synod and with the support of Gustavus Adolphus College. Attend in person or watch our live stream.
Who should attend?
Pastors, administrators, and council leaders.
This event is primarily aimed at ELCA Lutherans but ecumenically open to all denominations.
Our primary teacher will be Attorney Stephen K Knowles of the law firm of Davis & Kuelthau, s.c. in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Mr. Knowles has been counsel for the Greater Milwaukee Synod since its formation and also provides legal services for other ELCA synods, the ELCA’s churchwide organization, and ELCA congregations. We will have both synod attorneys also present:
– Attorney Jonathan Norrie from the SE MN Synod
– Attorney Bob Dalager from the SW MN Synod
Topics to be covered:
- What You Need to Know About the Employment at Will Rule.
- The Fair Labor Standards Act and Revisions to Exempt Employee Salary Requirements.
- Employment Policies and Employee Handbooks.
- Interviewing and Hiring.
- Discipline and Discharge.
- What Is the Ministerial Exception and Why You Should Care.
- “Quick Hits” on Other Legal Issues That May Affect Religious Organizations:
- Unemployment insurance
- Worker’s compensation insurance
- Employment practices liability insurance
- General liability insurance
- Equipment leases
- Space sharing agreements
- ELCA constitution and bylaws
- Disclosure of significant events
- Membership or attendance by sexual abuser or child abuser
- Mandatory abuse reporting
- Dealing with trouble makers